Cluster API v0.4 compared to v1.0
Minimum Go version
- The Go version used by Cluster API is still Go 1.16+
Controller Runtime version
- The Controller Runtime version is now v0.10.+
Controller Tools version (if used)
- The Controller Tools version is now v0.7.+
- The KIND version used for this release is still v0.11.x
Conversion from v1alpha3 and v1alpha4 to v1beta1 types
The core ClusterAPI providers will support upgrade from v1alpha3 and v1alpha4 to v1beta1. Thus, conversions of API types from v1alpha3 and v1alpha4 to v1beta1 have been implemented. If other providers also want to support the upgrade from v1alpha3 and v1alpha4, the same conversions have to be implemented.
serving-cert certificates now have organization set to
ClusterTopologyLabelName, a ClusterClass related constant has been deprecated and removed. This label has been replaced by
MachineNodeNameIndex has been removed from the common types in favor of
MachineProviderNameIndex has been removed from common types in favor of
clusterctl config provider has been removed in favor of
clusterctl generate provider.
clusterctl config cluster has been removed in favor of
clusterctl generate cluster.
Utils and other
- TemplateSuffix has been removed in favor of
- AddMachineNodeIndex has been removed in favor of
- GetMachineFromNode has been removed. This functionality is now private in the controllers package.
- ConverReferenceAPIContract has been removed in favor of
UpdateReferenceAPIContractin the util/conversion package.
- ParseMajorMinorPatch has been removed in favor of
ParseMajorMinorPatchin the util/version package.
- GetMachinesForCluster has been removed in favor of
GetFilteredMachinesForClusterin the util/collection package.
- GetControlPlaneMachines has been removed in favor of
FromMachines(machine).Filter(collections.ControlPlaneMachines(cluster.Name))in the util/collection package.
- GetControlPlaneMachinesFromList has been removed in favor of
FromMachineList(machines).Filter(collections.ControlPlaneMachines(cluster.Name))in the util/collection package.
- GetCRDMetadataFromGVK has been removed in favor of
- Ensure your template resources support
template.metafields. Refer to the cluster and machine provider contract docs for more information. This is not required, but is recommended for consistency across the infrastructure providers as Cluster API graduates and opens up use cases where coordinating controllers can use labels and annotations from template infrastructure resources to do external provisioning or provide configuration information, e.g. IPAM support for vSphere / bare-metal.
- Labels and annotations from KubeadmControlPlane, MachineDeployment and MachineSet and their
.spec.template.metadatafields are now selectively propagated to objects controlled by their respective controllers. Refer to metadata-propagation for more information.
⚠ LeaderElectionResourceLock change ⚠
The v1beta1 release uses “leases” instead of “configmapsleases” as the LeaderElectionResourceLock for all managers leader election including the core controllers, bootstrap and control plane kubeadm and the Docker provider. This has no user facing impact on brand-new clusters created as v1beta1. For Cluster API running clusters upgraded through clusterctl this should be ok given that we stop the old controllers. Users relying on custom upgrades procedures should ensure a migration to v1alpha4 (multilock “configmapsleases”) first, which will acquire a leader lock on both resources. After that, they can proceed migrating to v1beta1 (”leases”). As an additional safety step, these users should ensure the old controllers are stopped before running the new ones with the new lock mechanism. Otherwise, your controller might end up with multiple running instances that each acquired leadership through different resource locks during upgrades and thus act on the same resources concurrently.